- Stefan Kawalec:
- 2008 – present, President of the Management Board of Capital Strategy Sp. z o.o.
- Running own business activity as “Stefan Kawalec – Strategy Consulting” since 2006
2003-2006, Managing Director responsible for strategy at PZU (the leading Central and East European insurance and asset management group)
- Led the team responsible for the creation of strategy
- Coordinated strategic projects
- Initiated and coordinated project concerning entry into the Ukrainian insurance market
- Served as Deputy Chairman of the supervisory boards of PZU insurance subsidiaries in Ukraine (PZU Ukraine and PZU Ukraine Life)
2002-2003, in the management of Aviva Plc group in Poland (Commercial Union)
- Managed a greenfield bank project establishment for the insurance and asset management group
1994 – 2002 Chief Advisor to the Board and Head of Strategy at Bank Handlowy w Warszawie S.A. (a member of Citigroup since 2001)
- Led the team responsible for creation of strategy
- Played a key role in creating and implementing Bank Handlowy’s privatization strategy
- Involved in numerous strategic projects
1989 – 1994 Polish Ministry of Finance
1991-1994 Deputy Minister; 1989-1991 Director General and Chief Advisor to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Leszek Balcerowicz
- Played a significant role in the preparation and implementation of the economic stabilization and transformation program of the Polish economy (the so-called ‘Balcerowicz Plan’, 1989 – 1990): Led negotiations with the International Monetary Fund on consecutive agreements in 1990, 1991 and 1993
- Led the restructuring and privatization of state-owned commercial banks (1991 – 1994), including the preparation and implementation of an innovative program for dealing with bad debts based on a special law on the financial restructuring of enterprises and banks
- Responsible for the new legislation which liberalized the insurance market: Acted as the chief insurance supervisor on behalf of the Minister of Finance: Led the work on the establishment of a separate State Insurance Supervisory Authority
- As Chairman of the Inter-ministerial Task Force on Debt for Environment: Conversion of Polish External Debt, led the preparation of the conceptual and organizational framework for the eco-conversion and establishment of the EcoFund Foundation
- Supervisory Boards:
Since November 2020 Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Neutrino Geology Sp. z o.o.
Since November 2020 Chairman of the Supervisory Board of PW Sp. z o.o.
2015 – August 2020 Member of the Supervisory Board of Echo Investment S.A., Chairman of the Audit Committee
2010 – 2015 Vice-Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Lubelski Wegiel ,,Bogdanka” S.A.
2010 – 2012 Member of the Supervisory Board of Kredyt Bank S.A.
2004 – 2005 Member of the Supervisory Board of Telekomunikacja Polska S.A. (Polish Telecom)
1993 – 1994 Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Bank Pekao S.A.
1990 – 1991 Member of the Supervisory Board of Gdansk Shipyard S.A.
- Other projects:
- Future of Europe
2013, Co-initiator and signatory of the European Solidarity Manifesto, a document advocating for the controlled dismantlement of the Eurozone via the exit of the most competitive countries and an agreement on a new currency coordination system in Europe signed by economists from 11 European Union countries. A detailed argument supporting the Manifesto was developed inter alia in the paper; Stefan Kawalec and Ernest Pytlarczyk, “Controlled Dismantlement of the Eurozone: A Strategy to Save the European Union and the Single European Market”, German Economic Review, Volume 14, Issue 1, February 2013
A State for its Citizens. Governance Plan 2005-2009
2003-2005, Coordinator of a team of experts established by the initiative of Jan Rokita to prepare a program for the government which was to appear after the 2005 parliamentary election – a summary of this work was published in the December 2005 report “Państwo dla Obywateli. Plan Rządzenia 2015-2009″ (A State for its Citizen. Governance Plan 2005-2009).
Verification of the state budget
2001, member of a panel of four independent experts nominated by the Polish government in order to verify the Minister of Finance’s preliminary calculations for the 2002 state budget.
Consulting Advisory on the economy and financial sector transformations
Served as a consultant for the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, as well as government and commercial institutions in several countries in Central and Eastern Europe in matters of economic and financial sector transformations.
- Master of Science in Mathematics, 1979, University of Warsaw
- English (fluent)
Russian (limited working proficiency)
French (limited working proficiency)